[Histonet] aqueous mounting medium

Amanda MacFarlane am458 <@t> cornell.edu
Mon Jan 31 10:38:24 CST 2005

I have stained whole tissues for beta-galactosidase (X-gal) and am now
cryosectioning the tissues. I have been fixing the sections in 4% PFA
overnight at 4 degrees Celsius and cover slipping with 70% glycerol.
Coverslipping with glycerol is a time-consuming pain in the butt so I've
checked out glycerol vinyl alcohol aqueous (GVA) mounting solution (Zymed)
and Supermount aqueous mounting medium (Biogenex) as alternatives. It
appears that these products have not been tested with beta-gal staining,
so I'm wondering if people use these products and/or  what people
recommend. Thanks.

Amanda MacFarlane, PhD
Division of Nutritional Sciences
Cornell University