[Histonet] cd15 and morphology on bone marrows and lymph nodes

Andi Kappeler kappeler <@t> patho.unibe.ch
Wed Jan 26 00:52:43 CST 2005

Hi Deb

We use mo-a-CD15, clone MMA, Becton-Dickinson 347420. Working conc. is 2.5
ug Ig/ml, pretreatment is HIER (citrate) in pressure cooker. The 'secret'
with this clone (and most other commercially available CD15 mAbs, such as
C3D-1, BY87,  80H5, and more) is, that it is of Ig class IgM (and not IgG1,
IgG2a, as most monoclonals that you commonly use). While most secondary
antibodies show some cross-reactivity with mAbs of  Ig class IgM,  you have
to use a mouse-IgM specific secondary antibody to get optimal results (e.g.
DakoCytomation E 0465, rb-a-mo IgM/Biotin). This applies also to a couple of
other mAbs: they will work with 'regular' secondary antibodies, however,
they will work better with an IgM-specific secondary antibody. Therefore it
is always useful to check the SpecSheet for the Ig-class of a given mAb.
If you are using a visualization system that comes from the supplier of your
staining machine, you may have a problem, depending on the stainer. Some of
them are obviously very reluctant to let you use secondary reagents of your
choice... Then it is good to know, that immunos can be done manually ...
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Andi Kappeler
Insitute of Pathology, University of Bern, Switzerland