[Histonet] Use of Sta-On for Immuno stains

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Fri Jan 21 09:49:55 CST 2005

Karen,

I have found that sta-on doesn't produce alot of non-specific staining with
IHC.  It does, however, react with high molecular weight cytokeratins so
what we did was to switch over to using charged slides for all cases so that
we could forego the use of sta-on on stuff that the IHC techs cut
themselves.  If you look around, you should be able to find a reasonable
price on charged slides.  We still do IHC like AE1/AE3 & CK903's on the
slides you mentioned which were precut by routine histology but I let the
pathologists know what the situation is and they are able to interpret
around the non-specific staining resulting from the sta-on.

Good Luck,

Glen Dawson

-----Original Message-----
From: KarBieber <@t> aol.com [mailto:KarBieber <@t> aol.com]
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2005 9:11 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Use of Sta-On for Immuno stains

I was just wondering how other labs are handling this situation:  For
prostate and breast core biopsies we cut extra slides for potential immuno
staining,
between the levels.  The problem is the use of adhesive in the water bath.
Since we are cutting H&E's, there is the possibility of fall off during
staining
if we DON'T use sta-on.  But using it increases the possibility of fall off
during immunos staining.  And if we don't use the sta-on, we run the risk of

fall off on ALL the cases the techs are cutting that day.

I know there are lots of labs out there performing immunos, so I'd like to
know how you've resolved this.
Thanks,
Karen