[BULK] - [Histonet] Off-sitte storage of slides and blocks..

Fred Underwood funderwood <@t> mcohio.org
Wed Jan 12 13:32:25 CST 2005

Hi Tom,

Off site storage becomes a necessity for almost everyone at some point.
 I wouldn't put an unmonitored trust in anyone to watch over my
blocks/slides.  I would make certain that you also have access to the
storage facility.  It is important that you monitor temperature and
humidity.  I would recommend a good quality dehumidifier.  It's also
good to check on their handling of the specimens and make sure there are
no rodents or insects having a buffet on all those tasty goodies.

Fred

>>> Tom McNemar <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org> 01/12/05 02:20PM >>>
Hello all,

We are thinking of storing our blocks and slides off-site.  We may
contract
with a company to store and maintain them, as well as dispose of them
when
the time comes.  We would pay a monthly fee per cubic foot of space
used and
delivery charges when we need to get them back.  Does anyone else do
this?
If so, how does it work for you?

The problem is that we have no place to store them on-site.  Our space
was
taken over by medical records and the slides and blocks were dispersed
any place they could find.  They are stashed under and behind duct
work,
this corner and that.  It's quite a mess.  I'm thinking that off-site
storage would be a good thing.  They guarrentee delivery is as little
as
four hours.

Does anyone charge to retrieve slides/blocks?  I don't know if we could
pass
the retrieval/delivery charge on to the requestor.....

Any thoughts appreciated.

Tom Mc Nemar HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Licking Memorial Hospital