[Histonet] Sections floating off of slides

Robyn Vazquez vazquezr <@t> ohsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 09:05:02 CST 2005

Paul,
Would this work with frozen nasal bone?
Robyn
OHSU

>>> Paul Bradbury <histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca> 1/10/2005 7:45:46 PM >>>

Hi Becky,

Keeping brain sections on the slide has always been a problem. Over the

years, I have tried plain slides, coated slides, textured slides, etc.

Sometimes they seem to work, sometimes they fail, there does not seem
be a guaranteed method.

One adhesive that was very successful is methyl cellulose. A small
amount sprinkled on the suface of the water bath and allowed to
dissolve
was probably the best brain adhesive I have tried. Methyl cellulose is

available in most paint/decorating stores as an adhesive for
wallpaper.   In low concentrations, it does not seem to react with most

stains and dyes, so the background stays clear. I have no idea how it
reacts with immunohistochemical techniques, I have not used this stuff

since IHC became routine. Give it a try, it might work for you too.
Pick
up the sections onto the slides, allow them to drain and dry them for
an
hour or two at 60 degrees.

Paul Bradbury
Kamloops, BC