[Histonet] Sections floating off of slides

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Jan 10 15:46:23 CST 2005

Several things could be happening

1.  No adhesive in either the waterbath - some add a few granules of
gelatin as waterbath heats up or not using Plus Charge (silane or poly l
lysine coated) slides to keep sections adhered to the slide surface.  If
you use Plus charge slides, the water should be distilled and not tap water
as minerals in tap water in certain parts of the country will attract to
the Plus charge and negate section adherance.

2.  If you use ammonia water to blue the hematoxylin, it may be chewing the
protein sections off the slides aka alkaline protein hydrolysis which makes
sections release.  Change to Scotts tap water substitute to blue you
sections.   This problem can occure even after oven drying of sections.  If
you use Ammonia water, it should be very dilute, just enough to blue the
section, change it daily since it is a cheap solution.  Sections can
release with ammonia water bluing even IF you use slide adhesives.

3. Hopefully, your brain sections are very flat to perfect contact with the
slide. Sharp blades are a must.

At 01:31 PM 1/10/2005, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>I have encountered a problem H&E staining my paraffin embedded 8um mouse brain
>sections.  The sections are floating right off some of the slides but some of
>the samples are normal.
>The sectioning was done between mid-November 2004 through last week.  The ones
>sectioned more recently were embedded simultaneously and seem to be fine.
>I tried baking the slides at 55 C for an hour, the problem persisted, but at a
>slower rate.
>Any tips to correct this problem would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Becky Proctor
>UNC-Chapel Hill

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)