[Histonet] alternative resin for oil red O

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jan 7 11:28:40 CST 2005

I have a GMA protocol for lipid oil red O,  using a water/monomer
gradient.  Technovit 7100 is a GMA resin.  However, you cannot grind a
section in GMA since the water softens the plastic plus safety factors to
you, you do not want this plastic on your skin nor breathe vapors
either.  Microtoming would be difficult if you have metal implant in GMA is
really designed for thin sections - we never went thicker than 3 um, with 5
um a rarity as we used GMA for really thin sections.   However, you might
be successful cutting section with a tungsten carbide blade, however the
titanium implant will probably ruin the blade edge, a rather expensive
thing to have happen.  You would be limited to a thinner section, 50 um is
really thick for plastic microtomed sections.

I presume when you say "soft tissue on titane", you mean the tissue
contains titanium implant?

At 09:06 AM 1/7/2005, you wrote:
>wich resin do you think i have to use for embedding my simples and
>staining with oil red ? i 've heard of technovit do you konw it is it good ?

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology