[Histonet] Section Longevity

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Thu Jan 6 12:41:57 CST 2005

My experience has been that most dye staining methods are unaffected by the
age of the sections.  Figures 8 and 9 in Biotechnic and Histochemistry
75:124-131 show fresh staining of paraffin sections cut 30 years ago.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University
School of Graduate Medical Sciences
            Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Laurie
Reilly
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 6:54 PM
To: Gayle Callis; ftulenko06 <@t> jcu.edu; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Section Longevity

Dear All,
As Gayle suggested, many stains, eg. Perl's Prussian Blue, H & E, are not
affected by long term storage of paraffin sections.

Some that have given unsatisfactory results are controls for
micro-organisms. I have had old sections of controls for Gram positive and
negative bacteria, and controls for leptospira that would not stain
properly.
Now I cut fresh controls and only keep them for a few days.

           Regards,   Laurie.

At 09:06 AM 01/05/05 -0700, Gayle Callis wrote:
>Depending on the kind of staining wanted, I have stained paraffin sections
>on slides that were stored for years and didn't have any adverse
>effects.  I was not doing immunostaining, just special stains.
>
>Caveat:  some special stains may be affected by long term storage, one
>reported is Masson's Trichchrome for collagen.  I would also be careful
>about longer term storage for immunohistochemical stains.  Days are
>probably not a problem.
>
>This has been discussed before on Histonet, check the archives for further
>info.
>
>  and At 02:57 PM 1/3/2005, you wrote:
>>Hello everybody,
>>I was wondering how long paraplast sections that have been
>>mounted on slides could be left alone after drying before
>>staining.  Is there any reason they couldn't be left for days
>>or weeks?
>>Thanks for your advice,
>>Frank

>Gayle Callis
>MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
>Research Histopathology Supervisor
>Veterinary Molecular Biology
>Montana State University - Bozeman
>PO Box 173610
>Bozeman MT 59717-3610
>406 994-6367 (lab with voice mail)
>406 994-4303 (FAX)

Mr.Laurie Reilly                                              Ph 07 4781
4468
School of Veterinary & Biomedical Science      Fax  07 4779  1526
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.
4811                                      laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au

Australia.