[Histonet] lectins

Paul Webster pwebster <@t> hei.org
Thu Feb 24 12:23:17 CST 2005

Jeurgen Roth and John Lucocq did lots of studies conjugating lectins to
colloidal gold particles about 20 years ago. I think they finally concluded
that it was more efficient to use sequential labeling protocols with
secondary labeling reagents for detecting lectins. That is, you react the
lectin with the section, bind an anti-lectin antibody to the lectin and then
visualize with a gold-conjugated secondary antibody (or protein a gold).

One method they described used fetuin-gold to detect lectin bound to the
section (Light and electron microscopic demonstration of sialic acid
residues with the lectin from Limax flavus: a cytochemical affinity
technique with the use of fetuin-gold complexes. J Histochem Cytochem. 1984
Nov;32(11):1167-76.).

Paul Webster.

Paul Webster, Ph.D.
House Ear Institute