[Histonet] CPT coding for IHC

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Tue Feb 22 13:15:48 CST 2005

I think it is to avoid confusion.  If a pathology report lists 88360 X 6 but
we are billing 88342 X 6, problems and confusion may arise.  Although the
reimbursement is the same, coding everything as 88342's for the technical
portion may not be the easy way out.

My in-house IHC is billed directly from the pathology report so I don't have
the option of coding them myself, so the pathologist determines which are
88360's.  I do, however, bill my outside clients myself and I use the 88360
coding where appropriate so that the technical billing matches their
reports.

Just a thought,

Glen Dawson

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Cartun [mailto:Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 9:16 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] CPT coding for IHC

Are any of you using the new CPT code (88360) for IHC/semiquantitative
analysis?  If so, why is 88360 used on the technical side as well (there
is no difference in the amount of technical work performed)?  The only
difference I see is on the professional side with the interpretation.
Thank you.

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology & Histology