[Histonet] Vibratome info

Roger Moretz stamptrain <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 19:19:03 CST 2005

Could you describe more clearly the problems you are
having?  I have successfully used a vibratome for
years (and sporadically at that), always getting 50um
sections of the samples I am sectioning.  Have done
everything from cns to liver and kidney and nearly
everything else in between.  Successfully mounting
your samples is the first goal.  Second, I have always
preferred a #22 scalpel blade to a razor blade--using
only the straight portion of the blade of course.
Third, maintaining a cool temperature in the bath
(with ice or the chiller if the vibratome is so
equipped) is essential.  Finally, don't try to do
mammoth samples--altho I have done up to 25x25mm
samples without a problem.  If you have done all of
these, please provide more details and I'll see if I
can help.

Roger Moretz, Ph.D
Dept of Toxicology
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals