[Histonet] Formalin Fixation times for IHC samples

Anne C Lewin anne.lewin <@t> bms.com
Tue Feb 15 09:28:10 CST 2005

Could I get a general concensus from Histoland about the amount of time
needed to fix a sample for IHC without over-fixing?  My training/journal
searches  have led  me to believe that the longer a sample is in
formalin, the stronger the protiens are cross-linked, and the more
difficult it is to break those bonds with antigen retreival and get your
antibody to the target.  I generally tell the scientists in my
department to fix overnight (most samples vary from about the size of a
pea to a lima bean), and then to transfer to 70% Ethanol for me to
process for paraffin.  The total time in fixative tends to be around 24
hours.  Morphology has always been great, and my IHC's work well.  This
question is mainly for my information, since I have used the same tissue
prep protocol for a few years now, I want to make sure I am keeping up
with current opinions.
Thanks!
-Anne