[Histonet] online journals

Vinnie Della Speranza dellav <@t> musc.edu
Fri Dec 30 08:54:11 CST 2005

Robert,
getting past articles scanned and on line will take some doing but this is our plan. and yes, we recognize that a search function would be advantageous so this is our goal. the question is how quickly we can implement this. I'm unable to give you a timeframe at this time but we are actively working toward this goal.

Vinnie

>>> Robert Krug <rkrug <@t> sial.com> 12/29/05 06:07PM >>>
Vinnie:

Would past years be accessible and  would there be a search function?
Placing the years on line would be a great idea.

Best Regards,

Robert Krug
St Louis, Missouri

"Vinnie Della Speranza" <dellav <@t> musc.edu>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
12/29/2005 04:19 PM

<asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu>, <Malcolm.McCallum <@t> tamut.edu>
cc
histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject
RE: [Histonet] online journals

 I would like to inform that Histonet community that the NSH is working
to put the Journal of Histotechnology online which is scheduled to occur
sometime in 2006.

Complete articles of the JOH will be available free to NSH members.
when considered along with other member benefits, this would seem to
offer the greatest value for your dollar.

Non-members will be able to obtain articles electronically for $15

Non-members who have a medical library available to them may want to
ask their librarian to consider an electronic subscription to JOH. Even
those who do not have access to a medical library can have their
facility subscribe so that the pathologists and staff can access the
articles

Authors of articles appearing in JOH will not be charged anything to
make their articles available electronically

I understand that download fees can be daunting and counterproductive
to disseminating important information. However I would question the
fairness of having the society's members underwrite the expense of
allowing non-members to have free access so I believe that some fee
structure is appropriate.

The goal of the NSH leadership is to make articles contained in the
Journal of Histotechnology widely available.

Vinnie Della Speranza
President, National Society for Histotechnology

>>> "Smith, Allen" <asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu> 12/29/05 04:06PM >>>
A page charge to authors means that a paper is published or not
according to
whether or not the author can afford to publish.  That's a rather poor
way
to referee science.
A charge for subscription or download means that a paper is read only
if
enough people feel it is worth the cost of butying it.  That's very
mercenary, but it does give some indication of the value of the paper.
Currently, publishers are very foolish about download fees.  $25 to $30
paper is unaffordable.  At that price, I download about 1 paper a
year.
Thus, if my library doesn't have the journal, I won't cite the paper.
If
download fees were $5 paper, I'd probably download around 10 papers a
year
and the publishers' revenue would double.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161