[Histonet] Re: MMA sections falling off

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Dec 21 09:14:11 CST 2005

To increase the holding power, the gelatin can be 275 bloom, a larger
gelatin molecule made from pig collagen.  This subbing solution suggested
by Nancy is tried and true, also works for the nasty decalcified bone
sections, generally larger ones. However, if the subbing solution causes
too much blue background staining from hematoxylin, one can dip the subbed
slides in NBF a couple of times, rinse well, dry and store in cool, dry
place.  The NBF crosslinks the gelatin a bit and reduces blue background.