[Histonet] rat spinal cord longitudinal sections

Caroline Bass cbass <@t> bidmc.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 12 16:02:23 CST 2005

Hi Guys,

I have a rat that was injected with a virus that produces a
fluorescent protein.  I would like to scan the entire spinal cord for
the signal and thought the best way to do this was to section the
spinal cord along the long axis.  I don't know if I have the
terminology right on this.  I think this should be longitudinal
sections.  The histologists who is to section the tissue says that
this is impractical.  I know that cross sections (coronal?) are more
common, but which method is better when we are simply screening for a
visible signal?  I am worried that I will have hundreds of cross
sections to examine.

If there is a published example of this anywhere, even a picture on a
website I would love to see it.  I have not been able to find
anything that is helpful in deciding which route to go.

Thanks for you help,

Caroline Bass