Bone for Re: [Histonet] fixation in 70% alcohol

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Dec 8 11:37:16 CST 2005

70% alcohol has been a historically popular fixative for undecalcified bone
destined for methyl methacrylate i.e.plastic embedding  to help preserve
water soluble fluorescent tetracycline labeling.

So here are two questions

Are you labeling the bones with tetracycline?

Are you embedding in PMMA or paraffin?

In general, 70% alcohol is a poor fixative for bone!!!  Morphology of cells
and soft tissues is bad  compared to NBF fixation. If you planning to
decalcify and  embed in paraffin, it would be advisable to fix in neutral
buffered formalin.  In this case,  alcohol slows down and can actually stop
ionization of calcium until the bone rehydrates.

If you are planning to PMMA embed, you will have superior morphology is you
fix in
         1.  Neutral buffered formalin for general staining without tetracyline
         2.  Alcoholic formalin which preserves the tetracyline label, but
gives you better morphology than 70%.  One
recommendation,            Anatech has an excellent alcoholic formalin
fixative if you don't want to mess with making it up inhouse.

After fixation with NBF, you can store bone in 70% alcohol.

  If your bones are whole, fix rat, mice at least a week or more, and
change the fixative - this also goes for NBF or alcoholic formalin.   Sheep
- cut slabs or open bone and fix a longer, it may be up to two weeks for
whole big bones and maybe even longer if the bones are huge - have done
sheep and know how big their bones really are!!!!   You fix according to
size of bone, less time for small, more for large and there is NO
established time as it depends on the bone cortical versus mostly
trabecular, removal of soft tissues, size of bone, age of animal, etc.  If
you open a bone after it has been in fixative and it is still reddish
inside, you have not fixed long enough.

Good luck

At 09:18 AM 12/8/2005, you wrote:
>70% ethanol is not considered a fixative.  Ethanol fixes by dehydration,
>so at a minimum you should be using 95% ethanol, and preferably
>absolute.  70% can be used as a preservative after fixation.  You have
>unfixed tissue if they are put into it immediately after harvest.  Since
>it is not a fixative, the length of time is not really a factor.  What is
>most likely happening is that you then dehydrate with higher
>concentrations of ethanol and the tissue is fixed at that time.  Ethanol
>alone is considered to be a very poor fixative, although it may be
>necessary depending on your application.  I suggest you either use a
>proper fixative such as a formalin variant, preferably overnight, or put
>your tissue directly into absolute ethanol for a few hours.
>
>Bryan Llewellyn
>

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Fawn Jones" <fawn <@t> cs.cmu.edu>

Gayle Callis
Research Histopathology Supervisor