[Histonet] independent histology lab

Rogerson Kemlo (ELHT) Pathology Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> elht.nhs.uk
Tue Aug 30 02:26:31 CDT 2005

Interesting thought that appeals to the 'Techs' everywhere. Can a
Histology Lab survive with no Medical Input? Probably can Vet Labs do.

I suppose realistically the driver for a Lab comes the other way round;
Medics finding Medics to service their needs; A completely 'Tech' driven
Lab would probably not get the Contracts but that would belie that they
would probably be more cost effective and almost certainly better run.
It was explained to me once why Medics make poor Managers but for the
life of me I can't remember, can anyone else?

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Brandon
Edward Mills
Sent: 26 August 2005 19:11
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] independent histology lab

im semi-new to the whole histo-world, and i just have a quick
question...
are there any completely independent histology labs? not independent
pathology labs with a histology lab branch or a few techs working
within,
but a truly independent "tech" lab, whether small mom&pop or a larger
chain
of labs. i hear a lot about histotechs being underpaid and
underappreciated
by pathologists, and it seems to me that someone would have branched
away
from the pathologist and created an independent tech lab that could
possibly
service a few larger patho labs and hospitals, and take advantage of
economies of scale by doing so. any input?