[Histonet] More on Re: Michel's medium for skin biopsies

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Aug 24 11:14:39 CDT 2005

If I remember correctly, the Zeus tissue "fixative" IS Michels transport
medium and merely made, packaged and marketed under the Zeus "fixative"
name by Zeus Scientific although we purchased it through a vendor, Wampole
(?) and in my estimation, calling this reagent Zeus fixative has caused
confusion for time immemorial.  Go to this website and read up on it
www.zeusscientific.com .  All information is complete on use,, etc with
extensive references.

WE considered making up Michels in house, but after long discussions with
Jules Elias and reading the following publications:

1.  J Elias.  New method for shipment of renal biopsies.  J Histotechnology
(1(1):15-16, 1977

Elias indicated via private conversation it acted via protein denaturation
in Michels or "fixative" solution which was then reversed by the rinse
buffer before snap freezing, cryotomy and immunofluorescent staining.

2.  Michel B et al,. Preservation of tissue fixed immunoglobulins in skin
biopsies of patients with lupus erythematosis and bullous dieases -
preliminary report (original publication).  J Investigative Dermatology,
59(6):449-452, 1973

We decided to purchase it from the vendor under the "Zeus" fixative label
along with the rinse buffer.  We later changed supplier to Poly Scientific
due to larger quantity for less expense and repackaged it ourselves to make
up  renal biopsy shipping kits for our customers.

We had to have biopsies within 72 hours.