[Histonet] brain sections lifting

Anne Van Binsbergen vanann702 <@t> skmc.gov.ae
Wed Aug 24 06:02:17 CDT 2005

Hi Sharon
This is Anne - I ran the Neuro lab at med school for many years and we
met a few times. Perhaps you remember.
Your subject line states 'brain sections lifting'
I would leave them at 37 overnight instead of 60.
save that for just prior to the dewax step
brain washes off easily, more so than other tissue.
thicker sections wash off easier than thinner ones.
animal tissue washes off quicker than human.
If these are thick, animal brains then you have a 'triple' dose of 'wash
off' factor'
if you still have trouble go across to the med school histo routine lab
and find Patricia Papier - she's a whizz at this sort of thing. Tell her
I send love.
Cheers
Annie in Arabia

-----Original Message-----
From: Marshall [mailto:marshall <@t> cormack.uct.ac.za]
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 2:27 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] brain sections lifting

Hi I have a student who is doing fluorescent immunochemistry and has
problems with her sections lifting off her slides. We are using aptes
coated slides but they are still lifting. I have told her to make sure
the sections are as flat as possible when she picks them up from the
waterbath but we still have a problem. She is also leaving them
overnight at 60 degrees. Does anybody have any suggestions. I thought of
using chrome gelatin but I am not sure if this is going to help.
Thanks
Sharon Marshall
Dept. Human Biology
University of Cape Town