[Histonet] (no subject)

Stanislav Vitha vitha <@t> mic.tamu.edu
Thu Aug 18 17:34:20 CDT 2005

I have used a setup similar to the one described in the previous
reply by Dr. Chiovetti, using a coolpix 4500 camera.
You can set a zoom of the coolpix objective to a precise numerical
value using the "photopc" freely downloadable software and a serial
cable (not the USB cable supplied with the camera; Coolpix serial
cable can be purchased for ` $25).

There are DOS, windows and Linux versions of the software.
see http://www.lightner.net/lightner/bruce/photopc/

  I set up an old computer as a linux system and wrote a simple shell
script that would on startup set the zoom of the camera to a certain
default value (say 12.7 mm), as well as set some other parameters.
The computer also serves as a remote release, so that you do not have
to spend another $80 for the remote release gadget and just press the
"Enter " key to take a picture.

If you are interested, I will be happy to send you the shell script
and more info on 'photopc" software directly as an attachment.

Stan

>Message: 8
>Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:38:55 EDT
>From: RCHIOVETTI <@t> aol.com
>Subject: Re: [Histonet] Nikon relay lens
>To: nyilmaz <@t> mersin.edu.tr, histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>
>In a message dated 8/14/2005 11:35:35 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
>nyilmaz <@t> mersin.edu.tr writes:
>
> > We're using an Olympus BX 50 light microscope attached with Nikon Coolpix
> > 5000 digital camera. I'm wondering what the mangnification value
> of MDC relay
> > lens between the camera and the microscope is.

>4.  Since the zoom on the camera is infinitely adjustable, we had to decide
>on a reproducible zoom setting that always gave the same magnification.  For
>the Coolpix 8800 and our adapter, we opted to zoom to the maximum
>setting.  It's
>10x on the 8800; I'm not sure what it is on the 5000.
>
>5.  To make measurements we set the camera to this maximum (10x) zoom, and
>took pictures of the stage micrometer with each objective.  From there, it's
>relatively easy to measure the spacing of the 10 micrometer lines and to
>calculate a total magnification.
>
>This was the only way we could come up with to make measurements, since the
>camera's zoom is so variable.  It's a small inconvenience, but the
>camera works
>great with this set-up.
>
>You could probably use a similar procedure, provided you are using the
>camera's optical zoom to fill the field of view with the MDC relay
>lens.  The trick
>is to use a zoom setting that is reproducible.
>
>Hope this is of some help.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Robert (Bob) Chiovetti, Ph.D.
>The Microscope Works
>Arizona's Microscopy Resource
>132 North Elster Drive
>Tucson, AZ 85710-3212 USA
>Tel./Fax 520-546-4986
>Member, Arizona Small Business Association - ASBA

Dr. Stanislav Vitha      vitha <@t> mic.tamu.edu
Microscopy and Imaging Center
Texas A&M University
BSBW 119