[Histonet] Re: Immunofluorescence problem - Non-specific binding appears in control slide

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Aug 16 12:51:43 CDT 2005

Teri and Nick,

Just curious about which block you use with Strepavidin-Biotin methods?  We
use the Strepavidin/biotin block from Vector instead of their avidin/biotin
blocker when working with Strepavidin-Alexa fluorophores and
Strepavidin/biotin for IHC.

I asked the Vector technical service contact and this was his reply (some
time ago)

         Thanks for the email. Streptavidin does have some subtle binding
differences
         than avidin. Streptavidin has been shown to bind to fibronectin
receptors
         that are expressed on cell types. These integrins (extracellular
matrix
         receptors) mediate cell adhesion, migration etc and streptavidin
binds to
         these too. So the bottomline this that streptavidin based
detection systems
         may give background/non-specific staining due to this inetgrin
binding that
         is not blocked by a standard avidin/biotin blocking step. Hence
the idea
         behind the streptavidin/biotin kit. See the following reference:
         Alon, R. et al (1991) Cell-adhesive properties of streptavidin are
mediated
         by the exposure of an RGD-like RYD site. Eur. J. Cell Biol.
58:271-279.

         The nomenclature in this article is dated. The GpIIbIIIa is now
known as the
         alpha 5 beta 1 dimer that specifically binds fibronectin via the
RGD amino
         acid sequence. There are antibodies available against the alpha 5
subunit
         itself. Migratory cells, such as embryonic cells, some tumor cells
etc would
         be high expressors of this integrin. Obviously you could either
block with
the streptavidin kit or use an avidin based detection system.

*** We have found the Strepavidin-biotin blocking kit works well, things
remain clean with both IFA and IHC.

Teri made a good suggestion to use a secondary against the specific isotype.

With IHC, have you thought of using the glucose oxidase endogenous
peroxidase blocking method, very thorough and kills both peroxidases and
pseudoperoxidases, works with frozen sections and with paraffin
sections.  I will be happy to send this to you, we found it took out a
cells staining nonspecfically positive in our  negative control (not good!)
and something you don't want when the target cell population is sparse to
very fee then you want NO spurious nonspecific staining of any
cells.  GLUOX as we called it cleaned up a multitude of staining sins.

There will always be some autofluorescence in the tissue, even after
acetone alcohol or acetone fixation of frozen sections.  One thing to
consider is using a fluorophore that contrasts the autofluorescence, in red
rather than FITC colors - we use Alexa 555 to do this, then
autofluorescence becomes a counterfluorescence - making interesting
photos!!!   The strength of the signal of your fluorophore will help,
something that is extremely bright (Alexa 488 versus FITC)  and overcomes
some of the autofluorence also helps.  We also are picky where we purchase
our fluorophore labelled antibodies, by F(ab')2 frag of IgG to avoid fc
receptor binding in tissue, and careful adsorption to the mouse or species
being stained.

We have never tried methods to abolish autofluroescence, in general, we
live with it or deal with it in a different way.

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology