[Histonet] Grinding & polishing of resin sections.

RCHIOVETTI <@t> aol.com RCHIOVETTI <@t> aol.com
Tue Aug 16 11:03:48 CDT 2005

In a message dated 8/16/2005 2:00:20 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
sulekhababy <@t> yahoo.co.uk writes:

> After grinding &polishing using grinding papers and diamond paste of
> different sizes we find the sections contain lots of debris.What can I do to clean
> these resin sections before it is stained?

Sulekha,

Can you completely remove the plastic from the sections before staining?
This would certainly remove the bulk of the contaminants, since they're getting
embedded in the sections during the polishing process.

It would be similar to the deparaffinization of paraffin sections.

You could probably use 2-methoxy ethyl acetate to remove the methacrylate
plastic.  Then you would simply have the specimens remaining on the slide, with
no plastic  Wash and rehydrate thoroughly after the "deacrylation," and proceed
with staining.

See the following link:
<
http://www.ecmjournal.org/journal/supplements/vol007supp01/pdf/vol007supp01a82.pdf>.

Best,

Bob

Robert (Bob) Chiovetti, Ph.D.
The Microscope Works
Arizona's Microscopy Resource
132 North Elster Drive
Tucson, AZ 85710-3212 USA
Tel./Fax 520-546-4986
Member, Arizona Small Business Association - ASBA