[Histonet] problems with Gomori's Trichrome on Frozen Muscles

Due, Brice BDUE <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Aug 12 14:45:44 CDT 2005

Hello Jennifer, I have noticed two things which cause red staining.

a) incomplete rinse after hematoxylin. If the section is wrinkly or puckered and
traps the hematoxylin soln, those areas tend to stain red with the gomori.
Longer rinse after hematoxylin reduces this. This is probably not your trouble,
but you could try extending your rinse before the trichrome soln.

b) "freeze-dried-looking" regions of frozen sections. Sometimes two consecutive
sections will look different after they've dried on the slides. Thid can be
immediately obvious in the cryostat, but often shows up only after storage at
-80. The "good" section will look translucent, while the "bad" one will have
areas that look opaque, white and frosty -- as if it had freeze dried, or as if
it hadn't really stuck to the slide fully, or something. Those white areas tend
to show funky staining -- perhaps for the same reason as above: they may trap
solns more than usual.

Are you picking up sections exactly the same way or handling them differently? I
know you said you are staining same day. I have cut and stained 30min later
without problems.

c) another remote possibility is that the sections are getting exposed to some
solvent or formalin vapors at some point. Fixation and/or lipid extraction can
ruin gomori staining, although I have usually seen an absence of red rather than
excess.

Curious to know what the problem is,
-brice
Neuropathology LAb
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Boston

"THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN THIS EMAIL IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR
ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED
MATERIAL.  ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION OR OTHER USE OF OR TAKING
OF ANY ACTION IN RELIANCE UPON, THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER
THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED.  IF YOU RECEIVE THIS EMAIL IN ERROR,
PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER AND DELETE THE MATERIAL FROM ANY COMPUTER."
HIPPA Policy, 2003,  Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA