[Histonet] Temp/Humidity Records?

Willis, Donna DonnaWillis <@t> texashealth.org
Tue Apr 26 09:55:20 CDT 2005

Glen,
Just wait until the CLSI (formally NCCLS) Microwave Device Use in the
Histolog Laboratory Guideline is added to CAP.

Donna Willis
Histology Lab Manager
Harris Methodist Fort Worth, Tx

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Dawson,
Glen
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:17 AM
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Temp/Humidity Records?

Just got back from vacation but I feel the need to comment on this.
Although I haven't heard of this one, it would not surprise me.
Documentation, documentation, documentation; it is the only thing
between us and utter chaos...give me a break.

Each day, my staff and I do our IHC runs that require heat.  My
instructions are very straight forward; unless the thermometer reads at
least 97 degrees, the run cannot continue.  If the bath isn't up to
temp, the slides wait until it is.  We check and check and check this
same thermometer many times a day and the heat runs don't continue until
the magic number is reached. Still, every day, we must lug the
temperature log out and put in that entry. Maybe this is a bad example
but I don't see how writing an entry in a temperature log for a reading
we all know by heart is keeping the walls of this lab from crumbling
down.

At some point, doesn't the additional, meaningless documentations added
onto the CAP inspection roster become just that, meaningless.  I picture
a person somewhere in a dark room racking his or her brain 24/7 for more
"required" documentation for CAP inspections because every year I think
that CAP couldn't possibly come up with more things to document, they
do.

I'm rambling, long story short, I'm sick of all this documentation.

My Opinion,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI