[Histonet] Cryostat disposable blades

Due, Brice BDUE <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Apr 8 09:35:30 CDT 2005

I've had lots of good results with Sturkey's Extremus **High-Profile** blades.
I've cut sections ranging in thicknesses from 6um-100um of human muscles
(mainly), whole mouse eyes, human lens, and whole mouse pups bones and all,
brain with dura. These blades have a super-hard coating which seems to prevent
them from dulling or getting scored as easily as Feather/Accu-Edge. They are the
thickest blades I've ever seen, and are thus very very stiff. **Note I use their
High Profile blades only -- Sturkey has had manufacturing and perhaps design
problems in the past with their LOW profile Extremus blades. Their High Profile
blades have always been outstanding around here. (But IMHO, for paraffin nothing
is as good as a fresh low profile Feather/Accu-Edge blade.)

-brice
Neuropathology Lab
Brigham & Women's Hospital
Boston

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Amy
Porter
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:29 AM
To: Hallada, Teri; Histonet
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cryostat disposable blades

We use Dura-Edge triple bevel from Source Medical or Dynamic Diagnostics.  Very
comparable to AccuEdge and cost effective.

"Hallada, Teri" <thallada <@t> noch.org> wrote:I have finally convinced our
pathologists to try disposable blades in the cryostat. I would like to hear from
the group about any favorite blades or any other helpful hints.
Teri Hallada BS MT CT (ASCP)
thallada <@t> noch.org

Confidentiality Statement:
This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it
is addressed. It may contain privileged, confidential information which
is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws. If you are not the
intended recipient, please note that you are strictly prohibited from
disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the
intended recipient) or copying this information. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or
by telephone at (616) 842-3600. Thank you.

Amy S.Porter, HT(ASCP), QIHC
Michigan State University - Department of Physiology
Division of Human Pathology
Investigative Histopathology Laboratory
2201 Biomedical Physical Sciences  Room 2133
East Lansing, MI  48824-3320
Ph:  517-355-6475 ext 1480/1481
Fax:  517-432-1368
portera <@t> msu.edu