[Histonet] Ethyl Alcohol

kgibbon <@t> qltinc.com kgibbon <@t> qltinc.com
Thu Apr 7 12:16:43 CDT 2005

hi Glen,
I have used denatured alcohol for many years for all processing and
dehydrating. Most of the vendors sell it in various container sizes, the
larger the cheaper usually. I have no problems with any stains or tissues.
It is too much hassle to fill in the customs duty forms  for the pure stuff
Kevin Gibbon
QLT Inc.

|---------+----------------------------------------->
|         |           "Dawson, Glen"                |
|         |           <GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com|
|         |           >                             |
|         |           Sent by:                      |
|         |           histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouth|
|         |           western.edu                   |
|         |                                         |
|         |                                         |
|         |           04/07/2005 09:19 AM           |
|         |                                         |
|---------+----------------------------------------->
  |       To:       histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu                                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [Histonet] Ethyl Alcohol                                                                                     |

All,

Routine histology in my lab is looking for alternative sources for their
ethanol.  They currently use a distilled ethanol that is NOT denatured
which
they order from AAPER.  The box reads "200 proof USP Ethyl Alcohol".  She
may be superstitious but the histology manager does not want to change to
something like a denatured ethanol or dehydrants containing multiple types
of alcohols so she wants "the real thing".  Blocks are coming out just as
she wants them to so she would be loathe to change anything on the tissue
processors.  I believe she needs a permit to have this kind of ethanol but
sees that as a necessary evil.  A recent drastic price hike has her
searching for alternatives.  Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanx in Advance,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI