[Histonet] How to eliminate AFB contamination on slides?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Apr 6 14:31:49 CDT 2005

Saprophytic acid fast organisms can grow in distilled water storage
carboys, found in tubings on faucets and shower drains!  Clean your
distilled water containers frequently, use bleach, detergent and rinse well
if you use carboys (polyethylene type).   Set up a regular cleaning
schedule  to prevent contamination.

Replace old tubings, etc on carboys, faucets regularly also.

The organisms are not in your stain, more likely you get them when you pick
up the section from water bath filled with contaminated water.  Do you use
tap water or distilled water in waterbath?  If tap water, the tap may be
the source.

This is a known problem, there are publications about it.

At 11:34 AM 4/6/2005, you wrote:
>We are having problems with the AFB stain. Almost everything we do AFB
>stains on has extracellular "AFB positive organisms" without an associated
>tissue response. Do we need to change our stain or use better grade water?
>Anybody who has any ideas or suggestions or has had this problem in the
>past, let me know what you did to correct the problem. Thank you to all in
>advance.
>

>Heather A. Harper
>
>Supervisor of Histology/Morgue
>
>Naval Hospital of Pensacola, FL