[Histonet] Cryosectioning cryoprotected (30% sucrose) brain

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Apr 5 16:52:51 CDT 2005

Ethylene glycol is anti-freeze - don't use it. Just let brain cryoprotect
in 30% sucrose - we never bother with a sucrose gradient anymore but you
can use it if you want.

You should snap freeze the brain properly and then get good frozen sections
at that thickness at approx -17C.  but if you have anti-freeze in tissue,
you are probably cutting mush at that temperature.

At 02:29 PM 4/5/2005, you wrote:
>Hello All,
>

>I am attempting to slice sheep brainstem and hypothalamus on a cryostat at
>-20 C.  The tissue was treated as such:
>

>Perfusion through carotid artery (6L of 4% paraformaldehyde)
>
>Postfixation for 24 hours at 4 C
>
>Cryoprotected in a 20% sucrose solution for 5 days at 4 C
>
>Cryoprotected in a 30% sucrose 30% ethylene glycol solution and stored at
>-20 C.
>

>I am having some major problems with slicing this tissue.  It appears to
>never freeze.  Does anyone know at what temperature I should be slicing?
>Any opinions on use of a vibratome instead of a cryostat?  I'm trying to
>section tissue at 30-40 um.   Thanks in advance for your help.
>

>Ben Renquist
>
>UCDavis

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)