[Histonet] re:INKING BREAST SPECIMENS

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 16:15:22 CDT 2005

Hi Diana,

As far as I know there is no universal protocol. As a pathologist I can tell you it is very useful
to have a standard in your lab so the pathologist does not have to keep referring to the
gross for every case and slide. I instituted a protocol in our lab which I will share with you. It is a bit silly but here is a way to remember it.

Red is a Superior color
Yellow is an Inferior color ( also we P-- downward)
Green has an E like Medial
Blue is and should be opposite Green and therefore Lateral
Black is on the back Posterior
Orange a pregnant woman has a pumpkin in the front Anterior

Now when I see a slide with yellow I know its inferior and  black I know is posterior. I do not have to look up how every slide is labled and inked. It makes life much easier.

This arrangement takes into account that green and blue can look similar on the gross
tissue and therefore should not be right next to each other. The only time we deviate from this is if  the anatomy of the specimen requires a different scheme such as in skin lesion from
a right or left side. Otherwise our residents and PA's dictate" inked according to departmental protocol."
Another obsevation to pass to your pathologists. Sometimes yellow and orange can
look similar under the microscope. If they cannot tell them apart, if you polarize the tissue
the orange ink polarizes orange yellow color and the yellow ink  polarizes a yellow green color.

Stephen

Stephen Peters M.D.
Pathology Innovations, LLC
410 Old Mill Lane,