[Histonet] Re: HELP! "alien" bubbles ?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Apr 5 11:35:21 CDT 2005

Dianne,

Two possibilities here:

1)  Is the Cytoseal 60 in a plastic bottle that has the tiny lift up tab at
top so you can dispense?  If so, anytime time I have used these bottles for
coverslipping, I get bubbles.  When this bottle is tipped back and forth,
you not only agitate the media, but the top allows air to get sucked into
the media i.e. regurgitation?  You can tip the bottle on its side to ensure
the tip is always filled with media and no air gets back in, although this
leads to leakage of media from tip - too messy!

  OR  Use the old fashioned method (our favorite - a drop falling off of
either a narrow glass rod, or applicator stick onto the section.).  If you
use applicator stick, it can be tossed when done.   Just pour media into a
bottle with tight lid.  OR use the classic balsam bottle with glass rod -
you can still get these from Fisher.  We keep these around for huge
staining projects.

The other possibility is incompatibility of solvents although this may be
an old wives tale - was told milleniums ago that using toluene based
mounting media with sections coming out of xylene will cause bubbles -
although we do not have many problems doing just this in our lab.

If coverslipping out of a xylene substitute, i.e. Clearite 3, we make sure
we have a mounting media compatible with that solvent.  Check with
manufacturer.   Most mounting medias seem to be toluene based.  If we need
to thin a thickened media, we use the solvent it is dissolved in. ie.
toluene, NOT xylene.  Our Richard Allan toluene based mounting media is
compatible with xylene and Clearite 3. Propar xylene substitutes, but we do
use "drop off a stick"  method to avoid bubbles.

Instead of adding more dehydrants, add extra clearing station and be sure
to coverslip out of one that is not close to dehydrant.   We use 2 X
clearing, and coverslip out of the 3rd clearant.  If the sections are
thicker, slightly longer times in dehyrants and clearing agents may be
needed.

  My overall personal opinion is that goofy dispenser bottle is the
culprit, and they are NOT used here anymore because we dislike them
intensely.  This is also a problem with aqueous mounting media dispenser
bottles - we lay these on their side to keep tip filled and not with air.