[Histonet] Re: ASCP - My 2 cents

Charles.Embrey Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com
Mon Apr 4 08:39:50 CDT 2005

A Histotechnologist requires: Route 1: Baccalaureate degree from a
regionally accredited college/university with a combination of 30
semester hours (45 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry AND
successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnologist or
Histologic Technician program.

Route 2: Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited
college/university with a combination of 30 semester hours (45 quarter
hours) of biology and chemistry, AND one year full time acceptable
experience in a histopathology laboratory within the last ten years.
This year of experience must be under the supervision of a pathologist
(certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, or
eligible) or an appropriately certified medical scientist.

Histotechnician Requires: Route 1: Successful completion of a NAACLS
accredited Histotechnician program.

Route 2: Associate degree or at least 60 semester hours (90 quarter
hours) of academic credit from a regionally accredited
college/university with a combination of 12 semester hours (18 quarter
hours) of biology and chemistry, AND one year full time acceptable
experience in histopathology within the last ten years under the
supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of
Pathology in Anatomic Pathology, or eligible), or an appropriately
certified medical scientist.

And the Pathologists' Assistant requires: Route 1: Baccalaureate degree
from a regionally accredited college/university AND successful
completion of a NAACLS accredited Pathologists' Assistant program within
the last five years, OR

Route 2: Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited
college/university with 20 semester hours (30 quarter hours) of biology,
AND three years full time acceptable experience as a Pathologists'
Assistant within the last ten years. The three years of experience must
be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American
Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology).

NOTE: Route 2 will expire effective December 31, 2007. After that date,
all candidates will be required to complete a NAACLS accredited
Pathologists' Assistant Program.

Please also note that all but one (Wayne State) Pathologists' Assistant
programs are Master Level programs.

Charles Embrey PA(ASCP)
Urbana IL