[Histonet] mart stain

Michael Lehrer mainlinemohs <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 14:58:34 CST 2005

Here's the reference.  Hope this helps.

-Michael S. Lehrer, MD
-Mohs Micrographic Surgery
-www.mainlinemohs.com

Dermatol Surg. 2004 Mar;30(3):403-8.Related Articles, Links

Immunostaining melanoma frozen sections: the 1-hour protocol.

Bricca GM, Brodland DG, Zitelli JA.

BACKGROUND: There is significant debate over the use of frozen section processing in Mohs micrographic surgery (MMS) for melanoma. Opponents argue that individual melanocytes are too subtle to view consistently on frozen sections. On the other hand, proponents state that (1) melanocytes are visible on well-prepared frozen sections and (2) MMS using frozen sections for evaluation of melanoma surgical margins achieves comparable recurrence rates when compared with MMS using paraffin-embedded, permanent sections. OBJECTIVE: To introduce a new immunohistochemical (IHC) staining protocol that consistently produces melanoma frozen section slides in 1 hour that are easily evaluated during MMS. METHODS: We adapted a polymer-based IHC staining protocol to use with MMS frozen sections for the evaluation of melanoma surgical margins. RESULTS: When used with antibody directed against MART-1 for frozen section evaluation of melanoma, the section staining is reproducible and specific for
 melanocytes. CONCLUSIONS: In contrast to current IHC protocols that are time consuming (2 to 2.5 hours), we present a new frozen section protocol that takes approximately 1 hour to perform. This technique benefits patients, histotechnicians, and surgeons

Millicent Bruce <millicent_renee <@t> yahoo.com> wrote: Hi! I'm work for a plastic surgeon who has recently
completed a fellowship on the Mohs procedure. He has
been working as a Mohs surgeon for about 10 months.
We are all still new at this. He has mentioned
something about a mart stain. Is there anybody that
can help me? I need to know how to do it. If anybody
can tell me how, or atleast let me know where I can
find some information about it would be helpful.

Thank you very much,
Millicent Bruce