[Histonet] Help me get rid of autofluorescence

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Sep 29 16:41:59 CDT 2004

Unfortunately, you have to live with it.  Anytime you fix tissue with
paraformaldehyde or NBF, you will increase autofluorescence.  Sometimes it
is better to snap freeze fresh tissue,cryosection and fix with formalin
vapors. Obviously, this is not possible for you, OR you can detect the GFP
with immunohistochemistry or immunofluorescence using a different colored
fluorophore.  This was discussed this past summer at great length with one
gentleman from Germany who succeeded in using the formalin vapor method. I
think I also have that as a pdf and will send to you.  Not sure about
DsRed, but maybe a red GFP chimera is a better choice and use the
autofluorescence like a counterstain???

I have a review of autofluorescence in conjunction with GFP  I am going to
attach to you privately.  A very interesting paper.

At 03:06 PM 9/29/2004, you wrote:
>I have a virus that expresses GFP during replication.  I have fixed tissue
>from animals
>infected with the virus in 4% paraformaldehyde (Paraformaldehyde from Ted
>Pella as a
>16% solution) in water.  I fix tissues for 4 hours, soak 1-2 days in 30%
>sucrose, freeze in
>OCT, and then section on the cryostat.  My control uninfected tissue samples
>have high
>fluorescence.  Is there a way to avoid this autofluorescence?  Keep in mind
>that I have to
>fix the samples to kill the virus (dangerous to man).
>Thanks in advance,
>Justin
>
>Institute for Antiviral Research
>Biotechnology Center Rm. 201