[Histonet] hematoxylin

renton louise mrs rentonlf <@t> bru.wits.ac.za
Tue Sep 21 02:12:35 CDT 2004

I am not sure whose Haematoxylin this is, but we have used it extensively for many years for all trichrome stains. The recipe is is Bancroft & Stevens, should you need the ref.

Stable Iron Haematoxylin:
Soln A:
1g haem powder
100ml 95% alcohol.
Stir until powder is dissolved

Soln B:
10g  Aluminium Chloride(hydrated)[AlCl3.6h2O)
10g  Ferrous Sulphate(hydrated)
100ml Dist Water

Stir until dissolved and add Soln A & B together. Then add:
2ml conc HCl
2ml 9% Na Iodate

Mix & allow to stand at RT 48hrs before use. Soln remains stable at 4deg C for 2 months.

Staining time 10 mins, rinse in water and differentiate in 1min in acid alcohol if required.
regards
-----Original Message-----
From: Jose Luis Palazon Fernandez <jluis.palazon <@t> icman.csic.es>
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:25:28 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: [Histonet] hematoxylin

Dear List-members

greetings. I would like to know if there is a substitute for the "celestine blue/hematoxylin" staining of nucleus that can resist a posterior acidic counterstain. I need to apply a protocol that uses this nuclear staining method but I dont have celestine blue and the company that suplies it says that it would last 2 months to supply the stain

Thanks in advance

José Luis