[Histonet] fixed and unfixed immuno and antuibody oreps

Jasper, Thomas G. TJasper <@t> smdc.org
Fri Sep 17 12:01:28 CDT 2004

George,

I am sorry if I seem naive but I do understand your point about unfixed in
the first place, then not having to antigen retrieve to compensate for a new
problem which has been created.
Perhaps this is more a difference in application to achieve a goal.  It's
certainly possible in a purely academic setting that the unfixed approach
could produce the best and most direct results.  What has happened in
clinical settings is that IHC has been developed for use after tissue has
been fixed.  The fixation occurs out of necessity, not for the IHC, but for
the routine Hematoxylin and Eosin work-ups.  Many times what pathologists
see on H+E staining determines if IHC is necessary to diagnose a case.  At
gross examination, before the histological work-up, the pathologist may
already want to order some antibodies prior to seeing the H+E.
Nevertheless, fixation is necessary as it is a required step in the routine
work-up for tissue specimens in a case.  Keep in mind that time and cost
effectiveness are involved. If a case can be diagnosed on H+E only or on H+E
and special stains (non-IHC) it will be done.  Most certainly pathologists
were diagnosing cases on H+Es and limited special stains long before the
development of IHC.  Routine fixation for histological work-up is basically
a clinical standard of care.
There is another practical consideration with unfixed tissue.  To my
understanding that would require freezing everything that you were
interested in, or potentially interested in for IHC.  Freezing tissue
presents a set of unique problems on it's own.  There are things such as
freezing artifact and tissues that just do not freeze well (anything fatty).
There are also specimens that cannot be practically frozen due to
calcification.  Clinically, even with exceptionally good frozen technique,
most pathologists in many instances will defer to "permanents" once the
routine work-ups are done.  In many instances surgeons will get exclusionary
information or a limited list of possible "what-ifs" from a pathologist
until further information is available.
George, I would never claim that what we do in the clinical world is the
best or most perfect way to demonstrate antigenicity in tissue specimens.
What I will say is for the most part this is what we do and why is because
this is the best way that we know how.  Again, I by no means am expert in
the field of Immunohistochemistry and please allow me the disclaimer to be
corrected about anything that I have posted.  As I've said before there are
many out in Histonetland that are have more knowledge than I do.  I guess
I'm just trying to help you understand what goes on from a standard clinical
perspective with IHC.
Regards,

Thomas Jasper HT(ASCP)BAS
Anatomic Pathology Coordinator