[Histonet] IHC billing/payment question

Bonnie Whitaker bwhitaker <@t> brownpathology.com
Fri Sep 10 10:31:21 CDT 2004

Hi All,

A question recently came up that I'd like to ask about.   We are a new lab,
and are not yet doing IHC.  We are planning to do so in the near future,
but one of our people recently heard that Medicare was not paying for IHC,
in some instances, unless there were some particular ICD-9 codes associated
with it.  I did find something referring to H. Pylori testing, and there was
a group of ICD-9 codes that were acceptible in this instance and all others
were not.  Does anyone know of a definitive listing of markers and the codes
that must be associated?  I've never had to be involved in this end of
things before, and I feel totally clueless!  I don't want to push to start
doing IHC if reimbursement is becoming a serious problem.  HELP!

Thanks,

Bonnie Whitaker

Lab Manager

Brown & Associates Medical Laboratories