[Histonet] Histotech position at Buffalo General Hospital

Featherstone, Annette AFeatherstone <@t> KaleidaHealth.Org
Thu Sep 9 11:04:22 CDT 2004

We currently have 2 histotech positions open at Kaleida Health, Buffalo
General Hospital in sunny Buffalo NY. Two shifts are available 4-12midnight
and 8-4pm. These are full time, with full benefits and a great working
environment. Please contact me if you are interested.

Annette Featherstone HT/MLT
Kaleida Health, Buffalo General Hospital
100 High St.
Buffalo, NY 12403
716-859-2625
FAX: 716-859-1853

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Dobbin [mailto:dobbin <@t> upei.ca]
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 08:54
To: Carla M Conway
Cc: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] quantitative graded scale for IHC

Hi Carla,
I certainly may be corrected by others on this but I personally don't
think you will obtain statistically valid data by grading intensity of the
reaction between cells or fields or sections. There is just so much
room for subjectivity and for that matter, variability between runs or
perhaps even between slides within runs!

What you may want to try is calculating a ratio of positive to
negative (perhaps pos. cells vs. neg. cells in a given area). For
instance: place a grid with 50 or 100 intersects on the computer
monitor, choose a microscopic field (in a random or systematic-
random manner), and then at each intersect decide whether the
reaction at that point is positive or negative. If at any particular
intersect you have trouble to decide whether it is  pos or neg, have
a system that does not permit subjectivity, such as: for such points
where the call could go either way, look at the space imediately to
the left of the y-axis and above the x-axis and then make your
decision. Determination of the number of fields you need to sample
in order to obtain statistically valid data is very important and a
matter for a statistician to explain and/or determine for you (which I
most definately am not) unless you happen to have that training
yourself.

Another idea would be to have the image analysis software either
measure the area of or count the number of pixels in a given area
(field) that are "this red or redder". This involves choosing a
relatively arbitrational threshold for the degree of redness that is to
be measured or counted and applying the exact same setting to all
other fields and sections in the study. My personal experience
(using Bioquant NOVA) has been this sounds great in theory but
was very difficult to pull off! The good old-fashioned counting was
much more reliable and for that matter, easier to defend in
presentation or publication.

I am eager to hear other ideas or methods that might also work!
Good luck.
Greg