[Histonet] Resin embedding-bone matrix

Caroline Stott caroline.stott <@t> anatomy.otago.ac.nz
Wed Sep 8 17:00:26 CDT 2004

Hi all,
I don't think this will work but.... I have been asked to resin embed some
bone that was exposed to treatments of high temps and pressures
etc.  Consequently I have been left only with the in-organic matrix.  I
cant decalcify it, or embed in paraffin because there will be nothing
left,  and I don't think it will cut even if I manage to get it into
resin.  One of the samples is just powder!!!  (Apparently they are looking
at a particular protein?)
However the question is, should I make my resin mixture harder than normal
to accommodate the hard nature of the tissue?  Has anyone tried anything
similar???  Or do you have another medium I can embed into?
Help and many thanks
Caroline

Caroline Stott

Histology Service Unit