[Histonet] Shark egg

Paula Pierce contact <@t> excaliburpathology.com
Sun Oct 24 13:57:12 CDT 2004

I agree that the size of the specimen will affect the processing schedule and fixation will allow paraffin processing procedure. The amount of water naturally occuring in the egg white may cause some shrinkage as it is removed during processing, but you should still get a fairly decent section. No bone in sharks, all cartilage. The eggs are not covered by a calcified shell such as avian eggs, so are you fixing the whole egg, then disecting?

What is the pH of the different layers? I am thinking a combo alcian blue-PAS stain would show the different layers very nicely by tweeking the pH of the alcian blue. Basic layers will be blue, acidic will be hot pink, and neutral will be purple. Counterstain with hematoxylin.

Paula Pierce, HTL(ASCP)HT

Excalibur Pathology, Inc.
631 N. Broadway
Moore, OK 73160