[Histonet] Problem with tissue processing in my VIP

Amy Porter portera203 <@t> yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 12:08:42 CDT 2004

Not that it is always the machine, but you might want to have a service call just to be sure that there are no problems with the processor.  At one time we had a problem with the diaphragm being cracked, but not enough to cause an alarm for vacuum or pressure.  We were getting some cross contamination of reagents which caused "mushy" uninfiltrated pieces of some tissue types.  If modifying your processing protocol does not help the situation and you still have problems, don't assume that it is something you are not doing right....good luck solving the problem.

Marion Hiles <Marion.Hiles <@t> north-bristol.swest.nhs.uk> wrote:Ditch the zinc formalin and use 10% neutral buffered formalin and it seems
the processing times are a bit short. Try extending the clearing and wax
stages.

Bob Quilty
Neuropath
Frenchay Hospital
Bristol UK

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Barbara
Rouse
Sent: 21 October 2004 16:50
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Problem with tissue processing in my VIP

Hi everyone:

We are having problems when we process our tissue specimens in the VIP.
Whenever we process 80+ blocks (our VIP can hold 150 blocks), anything that
is not a small biopsy does not process well (such as uteri, breast tissue,
etc) even with specimens being held overnight or longer in formalin for
fixation.

We use zinc formalin, ethyl alcohol, Histo-Solv (xylene substitute - which
we have been using for a long time, so I don't think that is the problem)
and ParaPlast Xtra.

Our times once machine starts processing:
Zinc formalin, total of 2 hours
70% alcohol, 45 minutes
95% alcohol, total of 90 minutes
100% alcohol, total of 2-1/2 hours
Histo-Solv, total of 2 hours
Paraplast, total of 2 hours, 15 minutes

Agitation is on and so is vacuum.

Any ideas or help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Barbara
kjnpeppa <@t> yahoo.com

DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this
message by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any
action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this
message in error. Thank you.

Amy S.Porter, HT(ASCP)
Michigan State University
Department of Physiology