[Histonet] Eosin, phloxine and OG?

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Wed Oct 20 00:26:00 CDT 2004

If you look at your H&E slides between staining and
clearing & coverslipping you will find that eosin Y
(CI 45380) can impart more than 3 colours to RBC,
smooth muscle cytoplasm, other cytoplasms and
collagen.

Adding phloxin or orange G to an eosin Y counterstain
may extend the spectrum, but don't expect clear-cut
results from slides stained by a machine.

The H&E method needs human judgement and adjustments
before applying a coverslip. For this reason and
others H&E is not a good "routine" staining method.
It's all there in the peer-reviewed literature and
in most histotechnology textbooks less than 25
years old.
--
John A. Kiernan