[Histonet] Fresh tissue sectioning and safety

Galletly, Neil P n.galletly <@t> imperial.ac.uk
Mon Oct 18 11:30:28 CDT 2004

I plan to cut 200 micron sections of fresh human tissue (mainly colon,
esophagus and cervix) using a Krumdieck Tissue Slicer as part of a
research project.  Our college safety officer has raised concerns about
the possibility of tissue aerosol generation during cutting the tissue,
which would have implications regarding possible spread of viral
infections such as HIV and Hep B/C etc.  I'd be grateful for people's
views as to whether this is likely to be a real risk and if so what
precautions people are taking to avoid it.

I could use a Vibratome instead but I understand this is much more of a
hassle - and presumably the risk of aerosol formation would still exist?

Many thanks

Neil Galletly
Clinical Research Fellow
Department of Histopathology