[Histonet] verhoeff-hematoxylin

Katri Tuomala katri <@t> cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 14 11:18:02 CDT 2004

Hi Gudrun,
I'm not familiar with the russel-movat stain and I'm not quite sure what
your question is pertaining to. The original Verhoeff's hematoxylin for
elastic fibres does not use HCl, you are staining elastic fibres, not nuclei
as with Weigert's hematoxylin, where HCl is added. Musto's modification of
Verhoeff's in John Kiernan's book has HCl added and it does stain nuclei
also.
I don't think you should substitute potassium iodide with potassiun iodate,
I'm sure somebody on the list will explain why. Also working solution is not
stable and should be freshly prepared.
I hope this will help...

Katri

Katri Tuomala
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gudrun Lang" <gu.lang <@t> gmx.at>
To: "Histonetliste" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 5:07 AM
Subject: [Histonet] verhoeff-hematoxylin

Hi
I am dealing with russel-movat-stain and with verhoeff-hematoxylin and have
a question about the recipe.
In all books I have looked through, there is no HCl added except in John
Kiernans Histological Methods.
In the Weigert's Hematoxylin we use also acidified ferric chlorid to stain
nuclei. And I have learned that nuclei stain better in acid solution.

Now I have tried to stain elastic fibers with Verhoeff (AFIP-recipe) and
after 30-45 min there was only a brown shadow.
Can anybody give me some hints, what was going wrong?

Is there a difference, if the Jodin-solution is made of Potassium-iodat
instead of Potassium-iodide?
What about the acid in the solution?

thank you
Gudrun Lang