[Histonet] verhoeff-hematoxylin

Gudrun Lang gu.lang <@t> gmx.at
Thu Oct 14 04:07:16 CDT 2004

Hi
I am dealing with russel-movat-stain and with verhoeff-hematoxylin and have a question about the recipe.
In all books I have looked through, there is no HCl added except in John Kiernans Histological Methods.
In the Weigert's Hematoxylin we use also acidified ferric chlorid to stain nuclei. And I have learned that nuclei stain better in acid solution.

Now I have tried to stain elastic fibers with Verhoeff (AFIP-recipe) and after 30-45 min there was only a brown shadow.
Can anybody give me some hints, what was going wrong?

Is there a difference, if the Jodin-solution is made of Potassium-iodat instead of Potassium-iodide?
What about the acid in the solution?

thank you
Gudrun Lang