[Histonet] sample preparation/analysis to observe gas bubbles

Philip Oshel peoshel <@t> wisc.edu
Mon Nov 1 16:31:31 CST 2004

Cryofixation is the only way I know to preserve this kind of
structure. There have been discussions about this in the past, so you
might want to poke around in the Histonet archives.
What kind of treatment? Is it something that you stimulate with say
an electrode?
If so, there are plunge freezers designed to allow you to stimulate
the sample while it is falling into the liquid nitrogen.
Rapidity of freezing is essential to insure vitrification of the
water, instead of crystal formation. Although some folks maintain
that the water doesn't vitrify, but instead forms micro-crystallites
small enough to have no effect on structure. Others state that
evanescent microspherules are formed, sort of neither fish nor fowl
-- not crystalline and not glass. Either way, the frozen samples have
to be maintained below the recrystallization temperature (around
-80deg C or so) until after dehydraton or embedding to prevent
crystal growth and negating all the rapid freezing goodness.
But, the 4 basic methods are high-pressure freezing, propane-jet
freezing, slam-freezing, and plunging into cryogen. The first three
will likely distort the air bubbles and tissue around them, however.
Plunging works well, as long as the plunge is made very rapidly, and
no time is spent hanging about in the cold -- well below freezing --
nitrogen atmosphere above the cryogen.
Many people plunge into some organic fluid like ethane which is held
in a container in liquid nitrogen. This works, but it has a few
issues: the cryogen is usually warmer than the LN2, so the freezing
is not as rapid as it needs to be, and such organic cryogens are
flammable or explosive when they warm up. Especially since, being
near LN2 temperatures, they're enriching themselves in oxygen from
the air (liquid air is warmer than liquid nitrogen). They can be
handled safely, but this does require some thought.
A better way is to plunge into slush nitrogen -- LN2 near the
freezing point, instead of near the boiling point. This is about 14
deg C colder than LN2, so freezes samples faster, and so gives a
greater depth of good freezing. It's also nitrogen, so there's no
flammable gas to deal with (nor bureaucrats upset about flammable
gases in your lab). It's easy to produce: just put a beaker full in a
small to medium size vacuum desiccator, and pull a vacuum with a high
capacity pump, like a dual-stage rotary pump. One used to rough out a
large EM column usually works.

Phil

--
Philip Oshel