[Histonet] Modified Gomori's Trichrome

Sharon Allen SAllen <@t> exchange.hsc.mb.ca
Mon Nov 1 15:01:08 CST 2004

Hi,
I have been having some trouble getting the mitochondria to stain well with
this stain. It stains only slightly when made up fresh. I have tried new
reagents, low ph, No luck.
Method I use:  Mayer's Hematoxylin  5 min.  wash
	          Gomori's trichrome   10 min. wash
                      0.2% acetic acid       10 sec.
	Gomori's:  0.6 g  chromotrope 2R
                            0.3 g  fast green
                            0.6 g  phosphotungstic acid
                            1.0 ml glacial acetic acid
                            100 ml H2O
I just did the exact same method but used Celestine blue 2R for 5 min.
(found an old method with this step in it) before the Mayer's Hematoxylin &
the mitochondria stained up beautifully - bright red!!
Can anyone explain why this would happen or have any trick to make this
stain work without the celestine blue step.
Thanks
Sharon
sallen <@t> hsc.mb.ca

This e-mail and/or any documents in this transmission is intended for the address(s) only and may contain legally privileged or confidential information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, copying or dissemination is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and return the original.