FW: [Histonet] Offtopic - Microscope for kids

Hawkins, Hal K. hhawkins <@t> UTMB.EDU
Mon Nov 1 09:07:22 CST 2004

Yes, maybe 12 is a better age to consider a professional-grade student
scope.  For an 8-yead-old, I would strongly recommend the digital
microscopes from Intel, Mattel and Digital Blue, the QX3 and QX5.  I
have a QX3, and it is easy, lots of fun, and really an excellent way to
view things in the macro range -- insects, plankton, money, color
slides, nose hair -- whatever you like!

Hal Hawkins

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
McCormick, James
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 8:34 AM
To: John Kiernan; Kim Merriam; Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Offtopic - Microscope for kids

Kim, You have received some good advice from John Kiernan.  Learning to
use a hand lens to bring
 "little things" closer to view is the best building block for
"experimenting" with the magnification of interesting objects. Someone
has said "we need a low power lens and a high power mind!"  There are
some interesting books and web based assets to build with.  From my
experience it is important that the beginner
will benefit greatly from "examining" little things with a hand lens and
making drawings of what they see. If you look up "bugs" on Google it
will lead you to www.BillyBear4Kids.com  I think you will find some
things of great interest to an 8 year old. Wait until he is 12 to spend
$100.00 for a used student microscope.
Good Luck, I am a pathologist and have used a microscope since age 12.