[Histonet] Hematoxylin

peptolab peptolab <@t> hamptons.com
Sat May 22 06:36:39 CDT 2004

When I was a teenage volunteer lab rat at the county medical center, I used
to get all the scut work. I prepared big ehrlenmeyer flasks of Harris'
hematoxylin that used to boil over when i added the mercuric oxide. I love
the Gill formulations- especially Gill 3 in the frozen section set up- 30
seconds and you have perfect nuclei. In my career, Harris was always quirky,
too much-not enough acid, strength erratically ofen rapidly deteriorated,
gray nuclei, all kinds of muck forming daily like scum, sediment. With
Gills- I need not filter at all most days, when a film forms, after about 5
or six days in my lab,  its time to replace. Pretty much no matter the
manufacturer, Gill hematoxylins are a pleasure to use and look at.  Thanks
Gary, for the invention.

Jeff Silverman HT HTL QIHC (ASCP)
Pathologists' Assistant
Southside Hospital