[Histonet] Re: Fixative and H2O2 for frozen

Todd Sherman t-sherman <@t> comcast.net
Sat May 15 21:18:53 CDT 2004

Hello Jorge,

Any H2O2 solution should be prepped daily - actually immediately before
use. The peroxide oxidizes so quickly that it will lose its efficacy in
short order; after all, you need lots of readily available substrate for
the peroxidases to get optimally "quenched". Also, as far as solutions
go, it's cheap and easy to make. Store the PBS. Don't store PBS/H2O2
solutions.

The acetone:ethanol is probably more stable and could likely stand for a
while; my question, why take the chance? It, too, is very easy, because
they (X-CH2-COH-CH3 and CH3-CH2OH are polar molecules) are so soluble,
and inexpensive to make. Further, fresh solution allows consistency
because one eliminates another factor of variability from the day's
"experimentation". If you are doing research, that's all the reason you
need to make things fresh whenever possible.

Other experts may disagree.

Hope this helps,
Todd

Todd Sherman