[Histonet] Safety regs/Pathologists

Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com
Thu May 13 09:11:36 CDT 2004

My husband is a corporate safety guru for Motorola, OSHA certified and all
that junk.  He tells me that the organization (in your case the hospital)
is still liable for ensuring that contractors (the pathologists and their
staff) follow appropriate safety rules and regs.  It all depends on their
contract - which we can only assume states that they WILL agree to follow
established safety guidelines (to protect the hospital from liability
lawsuits).  In most cases, if they are not abiding by the conditions of
their contract, the contract can be terminated.  If I don't wear my safety
glasses in the lab, MY boss's butt is on the line if one of his superiors
sees me violating established rules.  If you are in charge of this lab and
enforcing safety guidelines, you are probably responsible for making sure
everyone in your lab follows the rules.   If this is the case, you should
document their refusal, and go up the line until you find someone who has
more clout, (such as the hospital safety officer or risk management) and
document everyone you speak to regarding this issue.   What kind of safety
infractions are we talking about?

Jacqueline M. O'Connor HT(ASCP)
Abbott Laboratories

Gldnsthisto <@t> aol.com